John C. Norton & Associates, founded in 1948, was the original name of Gourdie-Fraser, Inc. (GFA). One of the first projects for the newly formed Traverse City firm was Boyne Mountain Resort. In 1950 Karl Kobbins joined the group which then became Norton and Kobbins, Inc. William D. Gourdie came aboard as the first engineer in 1956 and later became president in 1964. In addition to engineering and surveying, the firm practiced architecture when Jay Miller, Carter Strong, and Dick Drury joined in the 1960’s.
In 1962 the office moved from its original location in the Masonic Building on Union Street into its present quarters on State Street in Traverse City, Michigan. The firm went through several name changes until the early 70’s when the current name of Gourdie-Fraser, Inc. was introduced.
William Gourdie retired from the firm after 44 years in January of 2000. In February of 2000, Gourdie/Fraser and Associates merged with Pearson & Case Associates. GFA now employs a staff of more than 30 professional engineers, professional surveyors, designers, drafters, construction technicians, and support staff.
We pride ourselves on an outstanding record of continued growth, expansion of services, and the provision of top quality services to our clients. The growth and reputation of the firm are the direct outcome of individual and team efforts and close cooperation by all of our associates. Our future success depends upon the continuation of these efforts and adherence to professional standards and ideals.